Indoor mold can be extremely harmful to many people – even life-threatening. Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (CIRS) is a diagnosable medical condition that results from exposure to water-damaged buildings. It is a chronic immune system reaction that is caused by inflammation. In short, people become seriously ill when they are exposed to water-damaged buildings where there are fungi, bacteria, actinomycetes, and mycobacteria. These living organisms are not the whole problem -- it is also the toxic chemicals (biotoxins) these organisms produce. The biotoxins they produce include: inflammagens from fungal fragments; beta glucans, mannans, hemolysins, spriocyclic drimanes, and microbial volatile organic compounds. These toxic substances cause illness in people whose bodies are unable to control inflammatory responses, who have genetic susceptibility, and who have abnormal inflammatory events when they are exposed. If we know so much about the risks of developing CIRS from spending extended amounts of time in moldy buildings, and we know how buildings become moldy, then why does mold related illness (CIRS) remain controversial and off the radar screen of most conventional physicians and federal policy makers in the United States? The answer is simple. A propaganda campaign was implemented in 2001 to “teach” physicians and to “educate” judges that mold in water-damage buildings could never reach a level that would be harmful to human health. The Insurance industry and the building construction industry were the primary beneficiaries of the campaign.

Read full story...