• Child Sex Abuse and Trafficking Through Foster Care Continues in the U.S.

A year ago this month (January 2018) attorney Michael Dolce wrote an opinion piece published in Newsweek titled: WE HAVE SET UP A SYSTEM TO SEX TRAFFIC AMERICAN CHILDREN. Attorney Dolce speaks from experience from representing children abused in foster care. He wrote: "Here’s the ugly truth: most Americans who are victims of sex trafficking come from our nation’s own foster care system. It’s a deeply broken system that leaves thousands vulnerable to pimps as children and grooms them for the illegal sex trade as young adults. We have failed our children by not fixing the systemic failures that have allowed this to happen for decades." A year later, has anything changed? If you monitor news reports about abuses in foster care, apparently not. Even local corporate-sponsored "mainstream" news organizations are now reporting on many of the abuses happening in foster care. Large-scale studies have been done comparing children in foster care with children left in troubled homes, even with parents who have issues like drug-abuse, and the results are clear: children left in troubled homes do far better than children put into the foster care system. So we have identified the problem, but so far no one seems willing to implement the only solution possible: abolish federal government-funded child welfare. The system is broken and beyond repair.

Read full story...

Whoever wrote this article apparently has not talked to the victims in foster homes to see what they're reaction to the article written here felt true or not. The quote " the children would be better off with their broken families " is so totally unreal and horribly untrue. I was from a broken home., father and mother divorced, father was in the military and didn't have time for his 2 children....Mother was mentally ill and was medicated heavily to where she could not function, much less take care of her 2 children. So, we were left to our own devices. Not being cared for or looked after made us look after ourselves, feed and dress ourselves, even going to steal food to bring to the roach infested home we lived in. We roamed around the city of Dallas, Tx. on the railroad tracks, around malls, even as far as taking the buses into town and back...from the age of 6 and 4 until I was 10 and my brother 8. Both of us were sent to foster care when our mother had to go into the hospital, quite often I might add. We were both sexually abused, used as slave labor within the abusive homes, not fed anything but beans for lunch and supper/peanut butter sandwich for breakfast., for 6 months. There are stories that we both could tell about our experiences that we suffered. My brother's outcome was to become a drug addict, along with drinking and stealing from others which had put him in jail. I looked for ways out through sex with men to "get out" of my situation, one after another. I would have committed suicide if it wasn't for my 2 children that I had at a very young age. Our experiences ruined our lives., kept us from our potentials, gave us nightmares, started us on a very bumpy ride in life., and we are still left to our own devices even 50+ years later. Talk to the victims., find a solution for these kids...schools and neighborhoods are willing to help these children. There were 6 of us girls in this 1 foster home that were being abused!!!! Ages 6 - 9!!!! We had no voice. We were told we would be killed if we did., so I kept quiet until I was grown! My brother still will not talk about it to this day. HELP THOSE KIDS!!!!

Joyce-Wall said:

Whoever wrote this article apparently has not talked to the victims in foster homes to see what they're reaction to the article written here felt true or not. The quote " the children would be better off with their broken families " is so totally unreal and horribly untrue. I was from a broken home., father and mother divorced, father was in the military and didn't have time for his 2 children....Mother was mentally ill and was medicated heavily to where she could not function, much less take care of her 2 children. So, we were left to our own devices. Not being cared for or looked after made us look after ourselves, feed and dress ourselves, even going to steal food to bring to the roach infested home we lived in. We roamed around the city of Dallas, Tx. on the railroad tracks, around malls, even as far as taking the buses into town and back...from the age of 6 and 4 until I was 10 and my brother 8. Both of us were sent to foster care when our mother had to go into the hospital, quite often I might add. We were both sexually abused, used as slave labor within the abusive homes, not fed anything but beans for lunch and supper/peanut butter sandwich for breakfast., for 6 months. There are stories that we both could tell about our experiences that we suffered. My brother's outcome was to become a drug addict, along with drinking and stealing from others which had put him in jail. I looked for ways out through sex with men to "get out" of my situation, one after another. I would have committed suicide if it wasn't for my 2 children that I had at a very young age. Our experiences ruined our lives., kept us from our potentials, gave us nightmares, started us on a very bumpy ride in life., and we are still left to our own devices even 50+ years later. Talk to the victims., find a solution for these kids...schools and neighborhoods are willing to help these children. There were 6 of us girls in this 1 foster home that were being abused!!!! Ages 6 - 9!!!! We had no voice. We were told we would be killed if we did., so I kept quiet until I was grown! My brother still will not talk about it to this day. HELP THOSE KIDS!!!!

Hi Joyce,

Thank you for taking time to respond and comment about your experiences. I am the one who wrote this article.

But please go back and read what I wrote, and the links to the other articles we have published on this topic.

Nowhere in this article did I write: "the children would be better off with their broken families."

What is written is: "the results are clear: children left in troubled homes do far better, on average, than children put into the foster care system."

Of course there are exceptions - both ways - of terrible homes children should be taken out of, and good foster families where children are safe.

The statement I wrote is based on large-scale studies done by Joseph Doyle at MIT studying over 38,000 children.

His studies concluded: "children placed in foster care have arrest, conviction, and imprisonment rates as adults that are three times higher than those of children who remained at home." See: https://medicalkidnap.com/2015/05/13/foster-care-c...

The point here is that foster care is not the answer, and your own testimony seems to verify that. Other solutions are needed, probably at the local level and without the incentive of billions of dollars of taxpayer funds.

Editor, Health Impact News