• N.Y. Mother Fights for Medically Kidnapped 13 Year Old Son Being Forced to Receive Chemo Therapy Even Though He is Cancer-free

ABC7 in New York is reporting on the story of a Long Island mother who lost custody of her 13 year old son when she disagreed with doctors over his treatment. Kristin Thorne reports: "A mother on Long Island is fighting to have her son removed from chemotherapy treatment after he was given a clean bill of health by doctors. Candace Gundersen's son, Nick Gundersen, 13, is receiving court-ordered chemotherapy at NYU Winthrop Hospital in Mineola. He's now in the custody of Suffolk County Child Protective Services." Kristin Thorne also spoke with Nick from his hospital bed: "They basically took me away from my parents and that's unnecessary because they're trying to help me and they're not trying to kill me. I think that they should focus on other families that actually need help and whose children lives are actually in danger," he said.

Read full story...

• N.Y. Mother Fights for Medically Kidnapped 13 Year Old Son Being Forced to Receive Chemo Therapy Even Though He is Cancer-free

grievingmom said:

Unfortunately it is quite common an oncologist will insist on continuing chemo well beyond being cancer free. And it is also true that different oncologists have different treatment protocol. You can have a child receiving chemo at one facility and change doctors or facility only to be given new dosages, drug combination etc.. It is all to their discretion and not to any one set protocol; is not necessarily same protocol for everyone with the same age, weight, labs, cancer, type and stage. "Chemo" is not one set combo of particular drugs, where no other drug is used in place of another, nor is it set dosages. "Chemo" can mean different things.

The parents should have been able to get a second opinion.

Story here:

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Judge-Reject...

Unfortunately it is quite common an oncologist will insist on continuing chemo well beyond being cancer free. And it is also true that different oncologists have different treatment protocol. You can have a child receiving chemo at one facility and change doctors or facility only to be given new dosages, drug combination etc.. It is all to their discretion and not to any one set protocol; is not necessarily same protocol for everyone with the same age, weight, labs, cancer, type and stage. "Chemo" is not one set combo of particular drugs, where no other drug is used in place of another, nor is it set dosages. "Chemo" can mean different things.