• Common Childbirth Practice Could Lead to Later False Diagnosis of Shaken Baby Syndrome

Pitocin is one of the most commonly used drugs in childbirth, given to the majority of birthing women to either induce or augment (speed up) labor. Cytotec is also used by many doctors to induce labor. As common as they are, they are not without significant risks to both mother and baby. There are known side effects that are rarely, if ever, told to parents. Unfortunately, some of these risks also appear on the list of symptoms of Shaken Baby Syndrome (SBS), or, as it is sometimes called, Abusive Head Trauma (AHT). Hundreds of parents each year are accused of SBS. The National Center on Shaken Baby Syndrome estimates that there are 1,300 cases of SBS per year in the U.S. Many have their children seized by Child Protective Services. Some are imprisoned, and some have even been put to death. How many accused parents are aware that simply having labor induced or augmented could cause Shaken Baby symptoms in their baby? Perhaps more importantly, how many doctors, social workers, attorneys, and judges are aware of this? Or are they aware, but choose not to disclose this information?

Read full story...

• Common Childbirth Practice Could Lead to Later False Diagnosis of Shaken Baby Syndrome

500k women die in childbirth and from childbirth complications on an annual basis. After reading this story, I wonder just how many of those deaths can be attributed to the inducing labor drugs. Seeing this story, reminds me of what happened to the wife Megan, of the backup guitar player Nathan Johnson, for the Christian musician Josh Wilson. She died in childbirth late June of this year, although her pregnancy had been high risk from her prior health issues. I wonder if her team of doctors opted to use any of those drugs on her, to start the labor.

In a back issue of Mothering Magazine, they told of the dangers of Cytotec, and how one mom lost her life due to uterine rupture and her son now has severe cerebral palsy from lack of oxygen because of the severe labor. This drug is horrible and should never be used on any pregnant woman. I looked up other incidents of uterine rupture, hemorrhage, blood clots, and cerebral palsy related to the use of this drug during labor, all because doctors are too impatient to let the moms body do it's job naturally to deliver a baby.