• Wisconsin Shuts Down Soy-free Egg Market: Denies Consumers Choice to Purchase Healthy Eggs

People with allergies to soy protein now have one less source for purchasing soy-free eggs. Two small-scale farmers in Wisconsin have been informed by the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture that they must stop selling their soy-free and GMO-tested eggs to consumers until they meet state government regulations for shipping eggs that they allege the farmers are violating. They have been shipping their eggs directly to the homes of customers throughout the United States since the beginning of 2010. In letters dated, March 13, 2017, the State of Wisconsin sent two farmers who are part of the Wisconsin Pasturelands Cooperative a Cease and Desist order regarding their eggs. The two farmers were informed that they were selling eggs and shipping them to consumers without proper refrigeration during shipping. They were specifically instructed that until this situation is corrected, “you shall not hold, process, package or sell the eggs for human consumption from your home or any other location.” The farmer cooperative run by Amish in rural Wisconsin since 2010 has been working together with an Internet business, Tropical Traditions (now Healthy Traditions), to market their eggs from cage-free chickens fed a specially developed feed that contains no soy, no corn, and ingredients that are tested to be free from GMOs and the herbicide glyphosate. They are believed to be one of the first ones in the U.S. to offer eggs from chickens on a soy-free diet. The eggs were marketed under the Grass-fed Traditions brand, which is now part of the Healthy Traditions product line offering alternatives to commodity food. Healthy Traditions tests their products for the presence of GMOs and the herbicide glyphosate. While the State of Wisconsin is claiming that the farmers are violating regulations for the refrigerated transportation of eggs, there is no indication that these regulations apply to consumers transporting their own eggs, whether they are transporting the eggs themselves directly from the farm, or paying someone else to ship them on their behalf.

Read full story...

• Wisconsin Shuts Down Soy-free Egg Market: Denies Consumers Choice to Purchase Healthy Eggs

L said:

What if everyone offered to pay extra for refrigerated shipping? Does anyone know of any other source of Soy free eggs? I live in North Carolina and am very sensitive to soy and animals that have been fed soy. If someone starts a petition I'd love to sign it. Since I'm not from Wisconsin would contacting one of the Wisconsin representatives to state my dissatisfaction make any difference?

There is no reason you can not call and contact the Wisconsin contacts listed no matter where you live, especially if you have been purchasing these eggs. Since these eggs have been purchased by customers across the U.S. anyone could, and should contact them and let them know their opinion. Share the link, inform friends and let our voices be heard.

Banning these eggs disappoint me. I have health issues and need these eggs. I have ordered these eggs since 2010 and they were shipped to New Jersey and never had any problems with the packaging. You are putting these farmers out of business that is producing clean food and I can't eat any other eggs. Please remove the ban I need these eggs.

What if everyone offered to pay extra for refrigerated shipping? Does anyone know of any other source of Soy free eggs? I live in North Carolina and am very sensitive to soy and animals that have been fed soy. If someone starts a petition I'd love to sign it. Since I'm not from Wisconsin would contacting one of the Wisconsin representatives to state my dissatisfaction make any difference?

I am really saddened by this. I purposely avoid soy as much as possible. I was really happy with this product as well. I am in California and I can't imagine that Californians were ordering so much that it caught someone's attention. It's unfortunate that food gets regulated to the point where an individual can't make their own choices.

It seems that an online petition would be helpful. This is what the bullies are afraid of. Get enough signatures and then take it to them, they may double think this, it's a shame, putting farmers out of business is what this is about, only the almighty dollar. Also have their phone lines flooded and emails sent to them. Local protests with signs. They don't want attention to come to them, this is wrong what they are doing. People buy these eggs for health reasons, I do and this is going to be a problem that I don't need.

Admin said:

People with allergies to soy protein now have one less source for purchasing soy-free eggs. Two small-scale farmers in Wisconsin have been informed by the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture that they must stop selling their soy-free and GMO-tested eggs to consumers until they meet state government regulations for shipping eggs that they allege the farmers are violating. They have been shipping their eggs directly to the homes of customers throughout the United States since the beginning of 2010. In letters dated, March 13, 2017, the State of Wisconsin sent two farmers who are part of the Wisconsin Pasturelands Cooperative a Cease and Desist order regarding their eggs. The two farmers were informed that they were selling eggs and shipping them to consumers without proper refrigeration during shipping. They were specifically instructed that until this situation is corrected, “you shall not hold, process, package or sell the eggs for human consumption from your home or any other location.” The farmer cooperative run by Amish in rural Wisconsin since 2010 has been working together with an Internet business, Tropical Traditions (now Healthy Traditions), to market their eggs from cage-free chickens fed a specially developed feed that contains no soy, no corn, and ingredients that are tested to be free from GMOs and the herbicide glyphosate. They are believed to be one of the first ones in the U.S. to offer eggs from chickens on a soy-free diet. The eggs were marketed under the Grass-fed Traditions brand, which is now part of the Healthy Traditions product line offering alternatives to commodity food. Healthy Traditions tests their products for the presence of GMOs and the herbicide glyphosate. While the State of Wisconsin is claiming that the farmers are violating regulations for the refrigerated transportation of eggs, there is no indication that these regulations apply to consumers transporting their own eggs, whether they are transporting the eggs themselves directly from the farm, or paying someone else to ship them on their behalf.

Well, another prove that US is so dumb. In England you can't sell washed eggs, because washing removes protective layer from egg shell! Not allowing to wash eggs encoreging good husbandry on the egg farm! You will never see poop on the egg even if it not being washed! And keeping eggs in refrigerate is such nonsense! I never do this.