• California Dr. Bob Sears Faces Medical Board Discipline for Writing Medical Vaccine Exemption

The mainstream media is widely reporting that California medical doctor Bob Sears is facing discipline by the California state Medical Board after he wrote a medical exemption for vaccines on behalf of a 2-year old patient who experienced adverse reactions from earlier vaccines. The Orange County Register reports: "According to the board documents, the toddler was seen by Sears for the first time in April 2014. His medical record notes that his mother said after his 2-month shots his bowels and bladder “shut down” for 24 hours. After the baby’s 3-month shots, she said, he was limp for a day and didn’t act like himself for a week." Dr. Sears is a well-known pediatrician nationally, and he is not anti-vaccine. He administers vaccines in his practice, but allows for a more individualized approach to vaccines, such as staggering them, or when necessary due to the health of his patients, forgoing some vaccines. He is the author of a very popular book, "The Vaccine Book." Dr. Sears was also an outspoken critic of California's mandatory vaccination bill SB277 that removed philosophical and religious exemptions to vaccines. Only medical exemptions are now allowed under this new bill. Dr. Sears favors "informed consent" and parental rights. Since Dr. Sears is a medical doctor and can legally write medical exemptions for vaccines, why is the state Medical Board investigating him for writing a medical exemption?

Read full story...

• California Dr. Bob Sears Faces Medical Board Discipline for Writing Medical Vaccine Exemption

Dr. Bob Sears is a first class doctor who has the patient's best interest in mind. He is very responsible for individual patient's well being when considering the vaccine schedule. He makes the world a healthier and better place for the kids who have individual medical needs. He uses his experience, intelligence, and judgement to avoid doing harm to anyone. In mid October 2016, I brought my son to attend the John Hopkins grand ceremony. On that trip I ran into a mom who has a 5 years old participating John Hopkins' program for autistic children. She said her son was very talkative and very social. But, before one of his birthdays in November, he had some shorts according to the CDC's recommended schedule. By next March, he had changed to be almost non-verbal, and he was no longer interested in things. His doctor couldn't find a definite answer. They performed numerous scans and expensive tests, and they ruled out everything the doctor would consider. But they found nothing. I asked if she thought it was because of his vaccinations. She said: "I would not say that, otherwise, other moms would get scared. But I can say that it destroyed my husband's dream for our boy". As for me, I grew up outside of the US. I had a good friend living across the alley and she got cut while out in the field collecting some weeds for her bunny. She got very sick and she did not have access to tetanus vaccine. She died, and I was devastated at the time. Yes, she died because of the lack of an available vaccine. In some parts of the world, lives are lost due to the lack of a vaccine. But in other parts of the world, lives are destroyed because of them. People need to make their own well-informed medical decisions with the help of their doctors. If doctors are punished when they use their experience, intelligence, and expertise to help their patients, we no longer have this. Please respect wonderful doctors like Dr. Bob Sears.

Hi. I think it would be helpful to the reader if you included some factual bullet points to include in the letter pertaining to legal rights to a Medical Exemption. Language from SB277 that refers directly to the ME allowance and a Nexus to Dr. Sears situation would also be compelling to include.

People, while interested to help, are busy, and anything you can do to make it easier for them to write the letter (a.k.a. spoon-feeding) may get more letters written. Just my two cents.

Also, include HEDIS next time in your article. They will penalize doctors who don't have high enough compliance rates to the vaccine schedule, and possibly cause them to lose malpractice insurance. Scary times for doctors, in my opinion.