• Is the 'No Shampoo' Trend Healthy or Harmful?

The "no-'poo" trend — short for "no shampoo" — is all the rage. Taking part is easy; just ditch your shampoo (at least typical detergent varieties) and "wash" (or simply rinse) your hair less, such as once every five days instead of daily or every other day. The idea is that over-shampooing your hair strips it of its natural oils. Dr. Lisa Donofrio, cosmetic surgeon and associate clinical professor of Dermatology at Yale University School of Medicine, told HealthDay News: " By leaving the natural oils on the hair, the hair doesn't need any styling products … If you don't apply any styling products, then there is no need to wash your hair. No products, no need to wash them out." Beyond this, there's growing recognition that perhaps we've become too clean as a society. Your skin is teeming with bacteria and other microorganisms, much of it beneficial. All of that washing may be disturbing this microbial balance. Not to mention, the shampoos many people lather on their scalps are chemical-laden and problematic in their own right.

Read full story...

• Is the 'No Shampoo' Trend Healthy or Harmful?

I have to disagree with this thinking for several reasons, one, just because "100 years ago daily bathing was unheard of" doesn't mean it was a better idea, 100 years ago there were not many life saving procedures, should we ditch those too ? Of course not. Man has evolved in his manor of self care and much of it is based on experience. There was a time when we did not have fire to cook, but should we ditch it now because some people misuse it and get burned ? Having said that, those who have conditions such as seborrheic dermatitis can not go for days without actual shampooing. The greasy scaling that builds up suffocates the follicles and also grows fungus which causes hair loss. A man who is balding and does not wash his hair frequent enough, like at least 3 times a week, will find his hair falling out quicker as the hormones and chemicals associated with hair loss excrete in the sebum and then if left on the scalp too long, reabsorb to cause more hair loss. As for bathing, if you bathe gently every day preferably with organic products such as soaps, washes and body lotions after, you will maintain healthy skin and don't forget diet has a lot to do with how healthy your skin is. With heavier people it's important to keep folds in their body very clean as it is common for them to develop skin ulcers if not kept clean. You may or may not clean away necessary bacteria as well, but you need to clean away harmful bacteria... It's also more common for infrequent bathers to get a fungal infection in their blood if cut or after certain surgical procedures and periods of illness for other reasons. I personally prefer a fresh clean gently, but daily showered body and I prefer a man to be showered daily as well. I like smelling fresh, being clean in my clean clothes. Personal hygiene below the belt is very important and if you don't have a bidet, a daily shower is necessary, wipes are good for maintenance, but not a substitute for actual cleanser and water bathing. When you sweat in the summer, it is best to rinse the residual salts in the sweat off your skin, because if you are sensitive like me, it will irritate you. It's a matter of personal choice, but I would rather kiss a well cleaned mouth than one that rarely brushes and kiss a cheek that's clean and not smelling sort of grimy from built up oils and skin cells.. just sayin ;)