• Salt Restriction Increases Heart Disease Deaths and Hospitalizations

Since graduating from medical school in 1989, I have come to the conclusion that much of what I was taught was wrong. In fact, at my medical school graduation, the dean said, “Fifty percent of what we just taught you was wrong, your job is to figure out which part was correct and which was incorrect.” When medical students come to my office, I always encourage them to question everything I tell them and, furthermore, to question what they have been taught. I was taught in medical school that a lowered salt diet was a healthy diet—for everyone. Furthermore, it was drilled into my head that anyone with heart disease, particularly heart failure, should limit salt in his/her diet. In fact, it is still standard-of-care for a cardiologist to tell his/her heart patient to limit salt in their diet. This is especially true when the patient is suffering from heart failure. So, does limiting salt in the diet of a patient with heart failure result in a better outcome? Not according to a recent study.

Read full story...

Very interesting information. The other thing I wonder is how the decreased use of iodized salt had any effect(s)? The other salt industry has boomed. Has there been studies regarding this? Our bodies work so hard, let's not make its job more difficult!

Admin---Orissa said: > Since graduating from medical school in 1989, I have come to the conclusion that much of what I was taught was wrong. In fact, at my medical school graduation, the dean said, “Fifty percent of what we just taught you was wrong, your job is to figure out which part was correct and which was incorrect.” > > When medical students come to my office, I always encourage them to question everything I tell them and, furthermore, to question what they have been taught. > > I was taught in medical school that a lowered salt diet was a healthy diet—for everyone. Furthermore, it was drilled into my head that anyone with heart disease, particularly heart failure, should limit salt in his/her diet. In fact, it is still standard-of-care for a cardiologist to tell his/her heart patient to limit salt in their diet. This is especially true when the patient is suffering from heart failure. > > So, does limiting salt in the diet of a patient with heart failure result in a better outcome? > > Not according to a recent study. I agree! In 1994, I had a total of three arteries blocked, two first, then a short time later a third artery blocked up. One of these later collapsed, and one of the first required a Stent. I was taken to Brooks Army Medical Center at Ft Sam Houston in San Antonio, TX for treatment. While recovering from treatment, and getting to know my Dr's, one informed me of two important things. First, the Cholesterol in shrimp is good cholesterol and will not harm you so you can eat all the shrimp you want! (I'm allergic to shrimp, which he knew!) and second, Salt! He came strolling into my room one day and the first thing he said was; "Leslie, salt is good for you! You can eat all the salt you want! Your body needs salt! He told me that the ONLY time you need to cut down on your salt intake is when the sack around your heart starts retaining fluid! Otherwise, it does not cause problems for you!". On all my physical exams in the military, my salt level has been smack in the middle of the range it is supposed to be in, and I have always been a heavy salt eater! I won't do without my salt!

Thank you for this report. I have always believed it depends on your lifestyle choices. If you are a manual physical working person. You definitely need more salt than those who do not have an active life... Bravo so refreshing as my father had heart problems and they cut it down in his diet - dead 57. I love salt and when we are more active we consume more !! Simples! Be blessed