• Is "Pastor" A Biblical Title for Church Leaders?

The English word "pastor" today is most often used in front of a person's name as a title of someone in a leadership position within a church or religious organization. But is this common title used so often in modern culture really biblical? Would believers in Jesus Christ in the First Century, among whom are the writers of the New Testament portion of the Bible, have used this term as a title, representing leaders and authorities? Who will follow the one true Pastor Jesus, who is the rightful owner of the one true flock, and tend to his sheep under his leadership? Who will pray in faith with the power and authority of Jesus to affect true healing for the multitudes that are suffering in the 21st century? Who will deal with the disease and effects of sin and receive the forgiveness from Jesus that cleanses and heals?

Read full story...

Admin said:

The English word "pastor" today is most often used in front of a person's name as a title of someone in a leadership position within a church or religious organization. But is this common title used so often in modern culture really biblical? Would believers in Jesus Christ in the First Century, among whom are the writers of the New Testament portion of the Bible, have used this term as a title, representing leaders and authorities? Who will follow the one true Pastor Jesus, who is the rightful owner of the one true flock, and tend to his sheep under his leadership? Who will pray in faith with the power and authority of Jesus to affect true healing for the multitudes that are suffering in the 21st century? Who will deal with the disease and effects of sin and receive the forgiveness from Jesus that cleanses and heals?
    Thank you for such a refreshing article. Thank you also for your obedience in presenting all of them as you do. In my observation, the religious mindsets of so many people today will always get offended if not addressed by the titles they bestow upon themselves. The matter of a title being biblical or not doesn't matter to most. I've actually seen people get upset if not addressed by their particular title...if you call them Pastor and not Prophet; if you call them brother and not Apostle; if you call them Mr. instead of Bishop. Silly, silly stuff! Bottom line is the title doesn't make them, Jesus looks at the heart. If they truly know who they are in the eyes of Jesus, they will not feel it necessary to be addressed by any title. I've told our congregation many times, as long as Jesus whispers my name, I do not need anyone else to recognize me! We are called to serve, not be served. Blessings and shalom to you and yours!

Mark said:

@Brian said:
    Doug, The main point of the article is addressing the question as to whether or not the office of "Pastor" is biblical or not. It really does not matter what one thinks about how people perceive the term, in relation to the content of this article. Is the term biblical as an "office" or as you say "a term of respect" when the OT prophecies and the New Testament Church reserved that term for God, and for Christ, the Messiah? Look again at John 10, for example, where the English translation uses "Shepherd" instead of "Pastor" but it is the same word in the original language. "there shall be one flock and one shepherd (Pastor)." If that term was only to be used in respect to a leader of the flock, an official position, ONLY for Jesus Christ, then it is near blasphemous to use that term as a title to any human being, biblically defined. There are other "official" terms used in the Scriptures to refer to human leaders, such as "elders," "deacons," "prophets," etc.
    1. Is the main point of the article addressing the question add to whether or not the office of pastor it's biblical our not, or is it as the title says a question of using the word/term "pastor"?

Is the "office" of "pastor" biblical is of paramount importance, of course. If it is not, then is it appropriate to use "Pastor" as a title and position of leadership? The term is used in other ways in scripture, that are not in the context of an "office" or position of authority.

Editor, Health Impact News

@Brian said:

Doug, The main point of the article is addressing the question as to whether or not the office of "Pastor" is biblical or not. It really does not matter what one thinks about how people perceive the term, in relation to the content of this article. Is the term biblical as an "office" or as you say "a term of respect" when the OT prophecies and the New Testament Church reserved that term for God, and for Christ, the Messiah? Look again at John 10, for example, where the English translation uses "Shepherd" instead of "Pastor" but it is the same word in the original language. "there shall be one flock and one shepherd (Pastor)." If that term was only to be used in respect to a leader of the flock, an official position, ONLY for Jesus Christ, then it is near blasphemous to use that term as a title to any human being, biblically defined. There are other "official" terms used in the Scriptures to refer to human leaders, such as "elders," "deacons," "prophets," etc.
    1. Is the main point of the article addressing the question add to whether or not the office of pastor it's biblical our not, or is it as the title says a question of using the word/term "pastor"?

Excellent article! For several years we have refrained from using the title of "Pastor" when referring to or addressing a leader of a congregation, or someone who has the designation or position of pastor for an organization. This has raised the eyebrows of some, and has brought out some choice remarks from others. Our response in this and other situations where we have received Holy Spirit revelation is to say, when God's Word teaches us something, we choose to obey Him, rather than conform to the "traditions of men." Inevitably, the occasional person points the finger at us while saying, "but that is the way it has always been done!" We shake our heads in amazement that people will still override what the Word says, because of tradition or because they have done or have been told differently for years and choose to believe accordingly, rather than simply asking God AND getting into the Word for themselves! Thank you and be continually blessed!

Don said: > What about Ephesians 4:11-12 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; 12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: Hi Don, What about that verse? "Pastoring" is also used in the verb form to describe the activity of elders. But do you see here a reference to an office or title? That is the point of the article. The title "pastor" is reserved in scripture to Jesus Christ, the "good Pastor." Brian

What about Ephesians 4:11-12 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; 12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

Well, I see your point here. But I know for our church, we call our pastor thus as a term of respect for the office. Honestly I haven't given it much thought, as our pastor often times stresses that he just has a certain position in the church and couldn't care less what he's called, and that his position is not to be more revered than anyone else's in the church. I will admit however that in the past I have put too much emphasis on the pastor, when in reality we all have a certain calling in our life and responsibility. If a church is looking to their pastor too much, then there is a problem; otherwise, I don't think it needs to be addressed.

Good article. It will help people to be challenged that ministry has become as much of its own industry as medicine has for health. The main features are budgets, bylaws and buildings and the continuation of the previous system of the priesthood, the temple and the acceptable sacrifices. It usually takes a major conflict within the modern system of "church" but those who are blessed by the pain of such events hopefully discover the things that you talk about....

Admin said: > The English word "pastor" today is most often used in front of a person's name as a title of someone in a leadership position within a church or religious organization. But is this common title used so often in modern culture really biblical? Would believers in Jesus Christ in the First Century, among whom are the writers of the New Testament portion of the Bible, have used this term as a title, representing leaders and authorities? > > Who will follow the one true Pastor Jesus, who is the rightful owner of the one true flock, and tend to his sheep under his leadership? Who will pray in faith with the power and authority of Jesus to affect true healing for the multitudes that are suffering in the 21st century? Who will deal with the disease and effects of sin and receive the forgiveness from Jesus that cleanses and heals? Excellent Article! It appears you have put a lot of time in studing these truths. I am learning that the church does a lot of religious activity that is not biblical. We have taken on new traditions of men like the Pharisees. I would like to encourage you to dig a little deeper with another question. You refered to this day in your article. The question is: "Is Christmas Biblical? Were we meant to celebrate that day? Was Christ born on December 25th and if not who's birthday is it?" Does God give us days to celebrate? These questions will keep you busy for awhile. If you need a little help check out "119 ministries" on line, they have studied these subjects, starting with the same questions. B

Betty said: > Admin said: > > The English word "pastor" today is most often used in front of a person's name as a title of someone in a leadership position within a church or religious organization. But is this common title used so often in modern culture really biblical? Would believers in Jesus Christ in the First Century, among whom are the writers of the New Testament portion of the Bible, have used this term as a title, representing leaders and authorities? > > > > Who will follow the one true Pastor Jesus, who is the rightful owner of the one true flock, and tend to his sheep under his leadership? Who will pray in faith with the power and authority of Jesus to affect true healing for the multitudes that are suffering in the 21st century? Who will deal with the disease and effects of sin and receive the forgiveness from Jesus that cleanses and heals? > > Excellent Article! It appears you have put a lot of time in studing these truths. I am learning that the church does a lot of religious activity that is not biblical. We have taken on new traditions of men like the Pharisees. I would like to encourage you to dig a little deeper with another question. You refered to this day in your article. The question is: "Is Christmas Biblical? Were we meant to celebrate that day? Was Christ born on December 25th and if not who's birthday is it?" Does God give us days to celebrate? These questions will keep you busy for awhile. If you need a little help check out "119 ministries" on line, they have studied these subjects, starting with the same questions. > > > B Thank you Betty. By using the term "Christmas" in the article I am simply referring to the birth of Christ, not the holiday. I am familiar with the "Christmas" debate you are referring to, and it is widely accepted that this is not the actual day when Jesus was born, but that is not the focus of this particular article. Thank you for your comments.