• Your source for research and news on the health benefits of coconut oil.

CoconutOil.com is the Internet’s oldest resource for published research on the health benefits of coconut oil. Beginning in the year 2000, we have been the main source of information linking to peer-reviewed research on coconut oil as well as publishing coconut oil testimonials showing how coconut oil has changed people’s lives! Coconut oil is an edible oil that has been consumed in tropical places for thousands of years. Studies done on native diets high in coconut oil consumption show that these populations are generally in good health, and don’t suffer as much from many of the modern diseases of western nations where coconut oil is seldom consumed anymore.

Read full story...

I have started 3 or 4 times taking coconut oil and I get really bloated so I stop taking it. Is this part of the process of the "cleaning out" VCO does or is it something else? Thank You for your reply!

Sher said:

I have started 3 or 4 times taking coconut oil and I get really bloated so I stop taking it. Is this part of the process of the "cleaning out" VCO does or is it something else? Thank You for your reply!

@Sher,

Coconut oil is a food, but certain individuals may have adverse reactions initially, especially if their body is used to a low-fat diet regimen. The most common reaction is diarrhea. While 3.5 Tbsp. is recommended as the daily intake by some researchers, it is probably best not to start with that amount, or eat it all at once. Spread it out over the course of the day, and reduce the amount you ingest if there are unwanted effects.

fullfrontalfiction said:

Coconut oil contains lauric acid, which is germicidal. When taken at first, it will cause diaohrrea because it kills some of the bacteria in your gut. (We all have bacteria in our guts - it's the kind of bacteria that's important to health. It automatically adjusts to the kind of food you eat). Coconut oil is also the only fat that does not need to be processed by the liver to be used as energy; It's absorbed directly into the blood stream for energy, similar to sugar, but without the insulin spike. (High insulin levels have been linked to inflammation, heart disease etc.) It also provide 9 calories of energy per gram versus 4 for protein and 4 for carbohydrate and 7 for alcohol making it energy-rich. When I think about it from an economics point of view, energy rich foods are better because then you don't have to buy as much. What kind of backward culture spends more money on foods with fewer calories? Fat satiates appetites. Carbohydrates and proteins stoke it. If we thought of food in terms of nutrient value per calorie per dollar spent, we'd be a lot better nourished!

A large portion of peoples are utilizing this sort of oil just to cook. Since they might know, that it is one of the most powerful and

useful coconut. oil in the world that could be utilized within life as well. Not for a sole purpose i.e. cooking.

Jerry said:

How do you eat/drink coconut oilJ I bought the books and they just say how much - not how to use it! Mine is hard in a jar. Please add this information to the nice booklet you publish. Thanks

I have been suffering for months with a bad cough,hospital said it was a virus,I started taking virgin coconut oil teasp.at night and morning =4 days ago I found that it helped tremendesly,the aful fits of coughing until i vomited has stopped, I still cough once in awhile but its seldom and its only to remove the phlegm.I am so grateful for this product

Site-Admin said: > CoconutOil.com is the Internet’s oldest resource for published research on the health benefits of coconut oil. Beginning in the year 2000, we have been the main source of information linking to peer-reviewed research on coconut oil as well as publishing coconut oil testimonials showing how coconut oil has changed people’s lives! Coconut oil is an edible oil that has been consumed in tropical places for thousands of years. Studies done on native diets high in coconut oil consumption show that these populations are generally in good health, and don’t suffer as much from many of the modern diseases of western nations where coconut oil is seldom consumed anymore. I have been using coconut oil, mostly externally, for about 40 years. In my mid-twenties I was having a problem with a flaking scalp and hair loss. On vacation in the Caribbean, I bought the oil. It was being sold by the locals for sunburn. As my scalp was burned, through my thinned hair, I applied it there also. The flaking stopped. I have used it in my hair since, and believe I have as much or more hair now. As for the sunburn. Appling the oil does not give immediate relief, but the sunburn pain does almost totally disappear in an hour or so, and laying on it at night is painless. Over the years I have found many other uses. I had a problem where my glasses resting on my nose. Occasional application cured this. Similarly, it relieved a crusty skin condition on my ears and pollution itching in my eyes. I had a black growth forming on my forehead. Along with a little picking, and time, it vanished. A prolonged application cured a crusty elbow problem I had that was so severe it was painful (actually developing cuts). I found that a painful rash that I would develop in the crotch when walking in a wet bathing suit, would immediately disappear, and I could continue to do so without any further problem. (diaper rash, etc.). It immediately stops the itching of athletes foot, and, in a day or two, cuts from it are healed. Pain caused by diarrhea is cured with application. Pain from a paper cut immediately stops. I have received puncture wounds from my cat that flared up the next day, and were totally cured after a heavy application. I had bleeding gums for years that was causing my teeth to loosen and become painful. I used the oil on them for the pain, and found the condition disappeared. I lost the teeth that were loose, but maintained the rest. I have recently been taking the oil internally, but have not yet noticed any effects. My suggestion is that coconut oil may be a much better disinfecting tool in medical practice than is alcohol. It soothes, rather then causing pain (needles, etc.). It penetrates and nourishes the skin rather than leaving a residue. I suspect that in operations it could aid in healing and prevent infections internally. This should be investigated.