• Parents Arrested and Children Seized by CPS for Being Alone in Back Yard of Own Home

One afternoon this past April, a Florida mom and dad I'll call Cindy and Fred could not get home in time to let their 11-year-old son into the house. The boy didn't have a key, so he played basketball in the yard. He was alone for 90 minutes. A neighbor called the cops, and when the parents arrived—having been delayed by traffic and rain—they were arrested for negligence. They were put in handcuffs, strip searched, fingerprinted, and held overnight in jail. It would be a month before their sons—the 11-year-old and his 4-year-old brother—were allowed home again.

Read full story...

• Parents Arrested and Children Seized by CPS for Being Alone in Back Yard of Own Home

Isn't the neighbor guilty of the same crime? The law states “A person who willfully or by culpable negligence neglects a child without causing great bodily harm, permanent disability, or permanent disfigurement to the child commits a felony of the third degree.” Doesn't say it has to be the parents. She/He left the child out there for 90 mins as well while waiting for the police. She/He should have invited the child into her/his house if she/he was so concerned. I think I would have to give that busybody a taste of her/his own medicine.

Name one elected official and/or CPS employee and/or government employee that is honorable.

This Florida city should be sued for a substantial amount of money for over reacting. These actions by police officers continue the movement of America towards a police state. Time for a civil law suit to rectify this situation as a legal over reach. Time for this family to file a civil law suit against the neighbor due to her "busy bodyness". She could have invited the child into her home for a brief time period. Though this end is not the real actionable legal response. I hope these police officers and the district attorney are personally sued for a substantial money judgement as an over reaction. Who are the real criminals here? I content that these police officers acted as if their continued employment is being threatened by economic hard times by judging wrongly these citizens (parents) poor decision. Societal problems can only be resolved by civil government and us. The world needs us. Police officers here are the real criminals.