• Medical Kidnapping in Maine: Child with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome

Brandon and Cynthia Ross became concerned after noticing their baby’s leg was swollen. Even though Ryder was not crying excessively, had no bruises, red marks, or any outward signs of injury other than the swelling, the couple took him to the doctor for an examination. After performing some x-rays and finding the infant with multiple fractures throughout his body, the doctors sent the family to the Maine Medical Center (MMC) for further evaluation. Before the couple understood the depths of the evaluation, they were deemed guilty of child abuse by officials at MMC. Six days after Ryder was admitted to the hospital, the state of Maine chose to remove both Ryder and his two year old sister Rosalynn from their parents’ care. On June 12, 2014 Brandon, a twenty-five year old father, was indicted on twelve counts of child abuse and was arrested by Bath, Maine police. After being transported to the local jail, he received death threats from other inmates. The threats were taken so seriously that the jail provided Brandon with private accommodations for his safety. On Father’s Day of 2014, just days after Brandon’s arrest, after telling the family he believed the state was out to get Brandon, Ryder’s seventy-four year old grandfather committed suicide, after writing a note falsely claiming responsibility for Ryder’s injuries. In October of 2014, the true cause of the baby’s fractures was finally discovered. The little guy suffered from Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (EDS). He, his mother, and his grandmother were diagnosed by Dr. Michael Holick at the Boston University Medical Center.

Read full story...

I am so glad to hear that this nightmare ended well for the Ross family. I thank them both for fighting back and for speaking up. A coalition of falsely accused families is now circulating a petition asking for an objective, scientific review of today's guidelines for the medical diagnosis of child abuse. The petition doesn't address the role of social services in this broken system, but it is a good first step in curbing the power of the state to tear apart families based on the unproven opinions of child abuse experts who, tragically, have been trained with a number of flawed theories. You can read and sign the petition at http://tinyurl.com/InnocentFamilyPetition To learn more about the Protecting Innocent Families coalition, please see https://protectinginnocentfamilies.wordpress.com/

I was born with a connective tissue disease. I have had 65 major fractures and countless dislocations and tissue tears. Every child and family service employee in this country should be trained to understand Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and Osteogenesis Imperfecta. I was lucky to be born and raised in a small town where people knew my family. In fact, my hometown embraced me as a fragile child. I stood up from the floor and popped the tibia and fibulae. Rolled over in the bed and cracked ribs. Mopping and dislocated my hip and tore ligaments. I certainly hope your child will have the proper doctors and medical attention he needs. Best of luck. So glad he is home.

Our family, too, has been DEVASTATED by the recklessness of Dr. Ricci, DHHS, and the ensuing ensemble of state authorities (the Attorney General and State Police, in particular.) We were accused of abusing our baby despite the fact that EVERY doctor who examined our case, chiefly Dr. Newberger of Boston's Children Hospital (and Founder of the Child Protective Program), disagreed with Ricci's diagnosis. Add to that list our pediatrician, our OBGYN, our child's neurologist, a radiologist, and you have quite an army of experts lined up against Dr. Ricci. Yet, to no avail: as with the Ross's, no one in Maine--not DHHS, not the police, not the Attorney General's Office--NO ONE would listen. In the end, thankfully, we were not criminally prosecuted, but our lives were turned into a living Hell. I am beyond outraged by the horrific combination of corruption and ineptitude that constitutes our Child Protective System. Suffice it to say, it is anything but protective. Since the system is unwilling to change, it is imperative that this story get out to the public. People need to know what's going on ... Please, contact us! Also, contact the attorneys and others who know what is going. Many attorneys know, for instance, how insanely irresponsible Ricci's conduct is. Nearly every attorney we spoke with--including some of the state's leading criminal defense attorneys--said Ricci is a public menace: he makes snap judgments without gathering evidence (as he did in our case), he manipulates evidence to support his findings (ditto), and then he blatantly lies when called out on his questionable findings (ditto). In our case, he made assertions that not even a first year medical student would make, such as, 'Premature babies are not more fragile than full gestation babies.' His negligence is mind-boggling! Dr. Newberger, our chief defender, said his jaw dropped when he read Dr. Ricci's report. Please, please, PLEASE continue to report this issue! Innocent lives are being ruined here ... Keep in mind: Maine has three times the national average when it comes to abusive head trauma in infants ... Hmm, I wonder why ... Might it be that we have a criminally insane medical examiner (who, by the way is given blanket immunity by the State) in bed with mindless bureaucrats? Yours truly, Peter

The medical establishment needs to read up on and get much more familiar with Heritable Disorders of Connective Tissue including the suspected Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, and the more likely IMHO Osteogenesis Imperfecta which is often only diagnosed after exactly this kind of thing happens: totally innocent loving parents take their child in for medical care, the fractures (from OI) are found, and everyone over reacts and calls CPS before evaluating the family's medical history. I get it, we want to keep kids safe, but they really really need to pause and check first. Many with OI think they have EDS and only find out the hard way after a more afflicted child is born to affected parents giving them 2 bad alleles and making the child "clinically" visible compared to the parents. So much misunderstanding. Learn more about EDS and when to suspect here: http://ohtwist.com

My daughter was taken.now she believes i physically beat her made her into my personal slave sexually assualted her mentaly crippled her and emotionaly assulted her and im a drunken drug addict who has been incarcerated. When i asked where and when these things occurred " it was said i dont know " and asked for my criminal record there wasnt one. When i had a few drug tests done they were negative "because one wasnt enough" as well as being forced into drug and alcohol treatment and counseling and when i refused i was considered in noncompliance then to top it off they took me to a mental hospital for my own safety and when i refused to stay they got a court order to make me stay the hospital took my wheelchair away stateing i wasnt hurt and it was all in my head.after i got out of there i finaly had my surgery and am now able to walk again " my back was broken and i had 5 ruptured disks" but no one would listen to me because i wasnt a Dr. But when the x-rays came back the hospital gave me back my wheelchair.i recorded every conversation i ever had with cps. And in court they claimed they didnt say or do stuff i told and showed the judge my proof it was dismissed as irrelevant.the CPS system has way more power then people think and by the time you find out its to late and they have your kids in a home where thier told you dont love them you gave them away ect. The mental and emotional damage they have done to my daughter and i is undoable. I saved every thing to give to her when shes 18 and she can decide to sue them or what ever she wants at that time.4years is a long wait and not a day gos by that i dont miss her

Tricia, I am so sorry to hear that you are a victim of CPS as well as hundreds of thousands of other families. I agree with everything you said. CPS outlived it's usefulness way before it got to what it is today. Instead of law enforcement doing their job they actually band together with CPS to terrorize children and families and making sure that children never get back to their families. Even if, mostly not, children are returned to their families they will never be the same. Always traumatized. Sadly, most people believe that if you have your children taken away it's for a good reason. They have no idea what really happens to kids in foster"care". They have no idea how much damage it does to children and families and how much money they make on each child they take into custody. Marching on the streets, in front of CPS offices, in front of each state capital and even the white house is one way to get people's attention. One of the problems is that government agencies profit too much from having more and more children on the public dole as do foster"people" and adoptive "parents". It's all about the money.

CPS took my children ruined our lives, I cannot to this day even hear the word cps without hyperventilating , my daughter was raped in foster care . Of any agency in this world child protective services needs to be laid to rest! You do realize much much more could be done to get rid of them if we all banded together and had major demonstrations in front of their buildings if we marched on the White House these people are destroying families faster than you can blink an eye and what's worse is they are traumatizing every child they come in contact with ! They are a name to be FEARED and people have no idea what they are about until they are right in the middle of it and God knows you can't even think I truly believe they leave with your kids knowing you are in complete SHOCK and you stay in that state sometimes for years!

It sure is a nightmare!!! Unfortunately this is all too common and is happening to more and more families. The children are the ones who suffer the most while the parents fight with all they have to get them back. Government sponsored kidnapping is nothing new. It has been going on for decades. It has been coming to a fevered pitch in the last 20 - 30 years. We cannot trust our government in any form. Kidnapping of children "in the best interest of the child" is a huge money making business and it's not in the children's best interest, ever, to take them away from loving families only to generate huge profits. Children are sexually molested, abused, drugged and murdered in foster"care". That's not to mention the ones who are sold into sex slavery or used in smut films and tortured most of their lives. It's a huge corrupt business and children are their merchandise.

What a nightmare! Do we now have government sponsored kidnapping (or worse)? It is impossible to trust any government entities. They have to generate problems to keep themselves getting a paycheck.

See my post "Involvement by the Child Protective Services Presents a Conflict of Interest": https://www.facebook.com/vladislav.ruchinsky/posts/850128105071277

That is so true. CPS is out to ruin as many lives as they can. They are using every avenue available to them. It's all about money and the more children they can have in custody and adopt out the better. No one is safe from their clutches. They have no accountability to anyone and it's virtually impossible to take them to court. CPS has ruined our family and the life of my daughter after her 3 little girls were taken. The 2 youngest were adopted to strangers and are being raised as if they belong to that family. What happens in adopted children is usually that they are completely turned against their birth family and told lies about how they came to be there.

This article sickens me. As an EDS survivor myself, I can tell you this is ridiculous of the government to say that child abuse is the reason for this. I am only a boy in high school but i know the struggle. Is the government going to take me away because everytime I sit down my back and my leg get bruised thanks to EDS? Every time i fall down I bruise my shin bone, not the skin the bone itself, so it isnt insane to think that a baby, more fragile than me, would break bones when it falls down. EDS is not child abuse, you cannot call it child abuse. EDS is a life long genetic disorder and this little fellow is getting the short end of the stick in the way that he breaks a bone every time he falls down. The State in this case does not understand that there is nothing normal about a person when they have EDS. I have never broken bones myself but I have really bad shin splint. I get out of bed in the morning to turn my alarm off and my shin splints are already there. Shinsplints can eventually lead to fractures, so who's to say this poor little fellow didn't develope shinsplints which eventually fractured his legs? Thats only one possibility on how this can happen to an EDS patient.

Here we go again......another family destroyed by the evil Child Protective System which actually is the Child Destructive System! This is just a money game that steals children for federal funds from Social Security Title IV. When will the people of this nation begin to believe that thousands of children across this nation are taken to support the greatest fraud by our government. At least there are now some legal cases popping up to help. See www.nationallibertyalliance.org (national lawsuit against CPS) and the Federal Trade Commission is now looking into a case also through the Families Civil Liberties Union at www.fclu.org. Think it cannot happen to you??.......better think again! CPS will use anything to gain your children, just ask the thousands of loving parents that lost theirs. RISE UP AMERICA......CPS IS COMING TO GET YOUR CHILDREN!!