• Baltimore Child Welfare Director: Foster Care is a Bad Idea – Kids Belong in Families

Child welfare is an industry and industries are self-protecting ecosystems. Think about it, the only time the federal government pays me is when I take somebody’s kid. And as soon as that kid’s in foster care they instantly become a commodity, and the industry starts to wrap around, doctors, lawyers, judges, social workers, advocates, whole organizations. The industry is committed to this intervention, this taking other people’s children, ‘cause that’s what it needs to survive. And it’s on auto pilot and it’s going to do whatever it has to do to stay alive.

Read full story...

• Baltimore Child Welfare Director: Foster Care is a Bad Idea – Kids Belong in Families

Angel said: > Yes sure wish my grandson can come home to biological family instead of being adopted. They say in court it's my grandsons best interest to be away from biological families. Yep gal attorney said in court he was a foster child and my grandson would be better off with foster family. Judge said I don't think you want him anyway. I am denied. This is so sad. Your grandson SHOULD be allowed to live with YOU!

Yes sure wish my grandson can come home to biological family instead of being adopted. They say in court it's my grandsons best interest to be away from biological families. Yep gal attorney said in court he was a foster child and my grandson would be better off with foster family. Judge said I don't think you want him anyway. I am denied.

Yes and Amen, DHHS is basically running in the red, so they are in need of money, states are running out, or low, and feds has it all, so they think, so thanks to Clinton, they attached thousands of bucks per kid for DHHS in each state who jumps thru their hoops. So DHHS adds millions in their budget from jumping thru the hoops, which means not caring about best interest of the child or the parents, just getting the hoops down to claim their prize money and new fat budget. DHHS leadership are creating broken families so they can create broken families to take away their kids who will grow up with no parenting skills and leave them without families in foster care system to self medicate so they can come back to the same place (DHHS) to get "some federal help" to get money, programs, services etc from same system that took away their kids. Its corrupt, sick and evil brought to you by your elected officials. the Only way to change foster care and DHHS is change laws in which they hide behind to remove children from parents. Must include removing the federal money attached to every kid DHHS takes. No incentive to return kids and more incentives if they label kids special needs and put them in special needs foster families. I know all of this first hand. I also have been on every side of the issue. People this is going to get worse until we fight back thru the legal system, as corrupt as it is. We must elect better judges, must change laws on books, must go thru congress and house and remove dead weight on tax rolls we call our elected officials. You are not motivated to change until you have nothing to live for, when they remove your kids or grandkids or neighbors kids, then maybe you will fight and call for laws to be changes. Run for office. Bug your local senator or representative. Demand change.

Harford county has destroyed my family. We were fine before CPS got involved with my sisters kids. Now none of us are close anymore and my 2 nephews are with foster families that will do anything to adopt. I am there natural uncle, Eagle Scout, successful parent. All I need is resources to help raise them and it's no issue. Instead they would rather spend probably upwards of 250k destroying my family with legal fees, resources to foster parents. It is a nightmare. I do not know where to turn. The lawyer Berger has even admitted that he has a Vendetta against my family....he says he needs to win. I want to see them lose their jobs. It is unfair. I desperately need help. Any advice? Because the timelines and sabotage and down right corruption show how bad it is and would probably end the horrible things going on in Harford County, if and only if I had the right direction to turn. Anybody, please help if you can.

The premise of what Molly McGrath Tierney has to say makes good sense. Children need their families and the families need their children. There are things that can be done to keep families intact. That means the money needs to go into keeping families together and helping them to become healthy rather than into taking children out of their families. My concern is with her statement about four year olds being in school. Mandatory schooling doesn't start until at least age five. In my state, it begins at age eight. Lowering the mandatory school age does not help children, so I don't think that is an option. Monitoring parents who have not entered the system or those who have given no indication that anything is wrong would be a violation of liberty. We can't simply monitor all families, nor should we. Responsibility for the children is with the parents. Every parents needs to know that and be held accountable when they are not meeting their responsibilities for their children. When a problem does come to the attention of the government, something needs to be done to determine whether or not the child is in danger and what can be done to help the parents resolve those problems and properly care for their own children. It is the right of every child to be properly cared for by his own parents.

It's about time someone care and is working hard to change this travesty. I know people who have had to deal with child "protection" services and family courts who threatened to take away the children from the parent for any number of reasons, and never for proof of abuse or neglect - just for fighting back and refusing to bring their children to court, over and over again. Family court judges are the most corrupt judges in this country. So are the attorneys they support, not legally on merit, but for having close money making relationships with them, Children become tragically traumatized by the unstoppable and unrelenting efforts to take them from their parent(s). Some run, some hide, some give up. These "welfare" agencies and the rest of the child "welfare" system that supports them, are out of control and must be stopped. Reform is most certainly overdue and reform of the entire system of corrupt judges and attorneys need complete oversight. God bless you, Molly McGrath Tierney - and thank you.

Thanks SO much for sharing this! I've shared her video on FB for months, hoping to see a difference in views. Sad to see so much trivial stuff garner millions of views. Yet this vital video just a relative few. Please SHARE this article regularly! Every American should hear this!

hope she has better security then nancy schaefer did ..they should do a head count on all foster kids and adoptive kids and arrest any foster or adoptive home for failing to report any of the kids missing and still getting a check on them

Thank you Molly! Keep injecting the truth into a sick system and society that is in critical need of remedies. Thank you for your accomplishments in Baltimore and your honest appraisal of the child protective protective system. Perhaps every time a social worker is deciding whether or not to take a child from his parents they could mark a simple chart with a line down the middle; listing the short-term, medium-term and long term pros and cons upon the child if removed from his/her birth parents. Perhaps this would help shed a light upon the truth of the consequences for the child and family. Please Keep up your all important, ground breaking work!!! Thank God for leaders of integrity like you!