• Why are Medical Professionals who Deliver Babies in Hospitals Choosing to have their Own Babies at Home?

It used to be one of the best-kept secrets in the medical profession. Doctors, when they talked openly about it, were met with raised eyebrows and worried looks. They were ridiculed by their colleagues, lost professional standing, and were sometimes even browbeaten into leaving their jobs. But now an increasing number of doctors, labor and delivery nurses, certified nurse midwives, physician assistants, and other medical professionals are choosing to birth their babies at home. And these doctors and other medical professionals are talking more openly about having home births than they ever have before.

Read full story...

• Why are Medical Professionals who Deliver Babies in Hospitals Choosing to have their Own Babies at Home?

Both of my children were home-birthed (1975 & '76) after visiting a hospital and being told 'you can have all the time and attention you want, unless there are other births happening and the staff has to attend their needs as well...then, be prepared for an 'assembly-line' process'! I was blessed to hear of Dr. Mayer Eisenstein, in practice nearby in Chicago, and was able to have his UNDIVIDED attention for allowing our children to be born as naturally as possible, his coaching to just allow my body to do what it was 'designed' to do, considering that he determined that we were good candidates by eating a diet of unprocessed foods, in good physical shape, and committed to breast-feeding so the babies had the best nurturing care from the beginning! I am eternally grateful to him for this BEST of care! (He went to great lengths to make sure the directions to the nearest hospital were at the ready, just in case there were unexpected developments, but he created a positive, trustworthy environment that made each birth experience unforgettable...half a century later!!!)

this article was pretty fascinating for me! i have a good friend who is an L&D nurse and she recently told me that she plans on giving birth at home herself.

I was a BSN having my first homebirth in 2003, after a degrading hospital birth in 2001... All these years and now a total of 5 homebirths and I always thought I was the only nurse-turned-homebirther. To know I'm not the only one is such a relief!

Great article! I had my 2nd baby at home and it was an incredible, empowering experience. Unfortunately, immediately after delivery, I was hemorrhaging and had to be transferred. A huge factor in deciding on the homebirth was our proximity to the hospital- which my midwives said is many HB family's top concern: what if something goes wrong? In my case, something did, but I wouldn't have done it any other way. Having my baby on my terms and in the peaceful environment of home was a huge part of my emotional healing from a highly medicated first (breech) birth. On another note, I was surprised that my (pregnant) nurse on the post-partum ward knew my midwife well- turned out that she was another client planning her own homebirth!!

All the best.... You are talking about very bold decision.... And a good one too......I am indian and our society is in a phase when people have started to opt for c section instead of natural birth..... And person who looks at it in a neutral way would say it as a disastrous change in society thinking..... It feels so good when people like you take such bold and good decision..... All my best wishes to you... And after delivering the baby surely u will have a great feeling.... That pain isn't pain.... Its a gift from god that wud make u more stronger and more closer to your baby

in light of the Rengo family article about 3 babies being removed from the parents because they were home birthed and the mom refused to go to the hospital for a checkup - she said the hospital was dirty - so the question to ask is - Are CPS removing the home birthed babies of medical professionals as well? if not then CPS and the medical community are LIARS and HYPOCRITES!!!!!

Wow I live in New Zealand and this article makes me feel grateful to live in a country where they support your decision on however you want to birth and actually encourage natural births in birthing centres, hospitals or at home. It should always be the mothers choice, without any scare tactics given from dr/nurses. I think that's the benefit of being able to choose your own midwife here who will look after you from start to finish. Good on you for making a stand.

I'm guessing you mean 40's not 60's. In Chicago, my cousins who were born in the 40's were the 1st grand babies born in hospitals. You are right regarding the reason to hospital birth was the "knock you out drag the unconscious baby out" style. I am an RN who had the last four of my 6 babies safely at home.

I would bet babies born in hospitals today are being micro chipped without telling the parents. Conspiracy, sci-fi, or not we have gotten to that point where it's a possibility. It could be just like why friends I have won't eat fast food after they've worked at fast food places. It's disgusting.

The only thing I can think of that should have been said is that the hospital was the place for baby birthing only since the 60's before that it was concidered weird too! And women started having babies in hospitals only so they could have the miracle (it seemed at the time) not feel pain during birth medications.

I'm a teen mom, (18, having my first baby) and she's going to be a home birth. I'm terrified as is, I don't want a bunch of people telling me I can't eat, or trying to rush my birth. I want to have a water birth, at home with family. My body knows what it's doing, as do my midwife and mother (she's had three natural births, and her body isn't as...birth ready as mine is)

Very informative article! So glad to see that so many of my colleagues are doing their research and reaching the same conclusions I did. I am immensely grateful for my home birth experiences.

My wife and I had all five of our children at home, in NYC in 1978, St Louis in 1980 and 1982 and Santa Barbara in 1988 and 1991. Our oldest daughter had five home births too in Santa Barbara in 2002, 2004, 2006 and 2008 and Santa Fe in 2011. No complications in any of them.

Nature always does it best. Very nice article!

i wouldn't want a hospital birth and had 2 at home, though the experience was much better in the netherlands with independent midwives, with their own practice, full status and able to do all pre and post natal care than in germany where midwives are dependent on doctor's good will and have no such high status.

When I worked in L

We had our first child in the hospital, in 1981 it was such a bad experience that we decided there had to be a better way, started researching options. Found out about a friend having a home birth and talked to the midwife. It was a great experience having our 2nd at home in 1983, when it was not as popular as today. My wife became a teacher, then quit after our children went into high school to be a stay at home mom, we determined that children need their mom at home as much at this time as they do before they begin school. After they finished school, my wife went back to school to became a midwife, she started doing home births, then in 2007 we opened a birth center. She has delivered over 600 babies as of this writing and changed the lives of the women that she has been able to serve. She just went to an OB appointment with a friend who she had done 3 previous births with, but she is not in the low risk category with this pregnancy. They were there over a hour to spend 5 minutes with the nurse midwife, where she will spend an hour with her clients. It is so sad to me that people just do not know what they are missing. All 4 of our grandchildren have been born at home or our birth center. My son called after his first was born, and said he would have paid $10,000.00 for the care his midwives gave to them in their home if he had too, it was that awesome. But, It was only $3500.00, but was worth so much more. Our government with some OB's in our state is trying to to regulate birth centers out of business. I hope the general public will get involved in this fight to help the women who want the choice of where to deliver their baby to have a choice. As this is a women's right issue. We realize that only a small percent of women wish to exercise the option of having an out of hospital birth but they should still have the option to chose where and with whom they wish to deliver.

My brothers and I were all born at home and we're awesome. Until I read this, I was feeling twitchy about not being able to give birth at home myself some day when I'm having kids of my own. My mom developed a tradition where she'd start mixing up a batch of zucchini cake once she went into labor, and tell my dad/whoever was there with them when to take it out. She wanted to make sure the people waiting for us to arrive would have something to eat. This was in the early-to-mid-80s.

I had my second baby at home and it was miraculous! It was many years ago, people thought I was crazy, called me a pioneer, worried about me. The worry was compounded by the fact that I was 38, at that time considered very old to be having babies. It was such a much better experience than having a baby in the hospital. thanks for the lovely article.

Great article. I just said last night to my husband how seems like the doctors don't let mother's take the time to have the babies their own way. I have 3 granddaughters who planned on natural birth only to be shot down at the last minute by the doctor telling them the baby was in stress and they had to have a c-section. I don't believe it, the doctors just want to get on with it and know they can intimidate the mother at a very vulnerable time. Healthcare for a profit should be the new slogan. .