• Oregon Grass-fed Ranchers Face Criminal Charges for Grazing Animals

The latest from Paradise Ranch: The judge has ordered that all the animals we are charged with neglecting be forfeited unless we pay a bond of $39,780 by 4 p.m. Pacific time, Thursday, June 11. Unless we come up with the money by that time, 35 of our animals (cows and their calves, yearlings, and a boar) will be forfeited. On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 we became accused criminals. The Union County Sheriff’s Department served us with a search and seizure warrant after several animals died over an extended period of time. The next day, they confiscated every head of livestock from our Summerville, Oregon property on the grounds of “criminal neglect”—but nothing more specific than that. They stole our breeding boar and sow, 6 mules, 5 horses, 23 yearling calves, 2 bulls, 4 steers, and 43 cows. The mother cows represent years of genetic selection for cows that will do well living on pasture and eating only grass. Almost all of our mother cows, all of our future beef, and hog breeding stock were taken. This is the majority of our livestock. Prior to the seizure, law enforcement had not presented us with any specific concerns that they wanted to see addressed. They did not work with us to have a veterinarian come on the property to assess our animals. They did not ask to see our hay purchase records to confirm how much hay we were buying and feeding. They had never cited us for lack of appropriate care for our livestock. This led us to think we were meeting their expectations. But in a matter of hours, they took our past, present, and future.

Read full story...

A small group of us have been researching SB6 laws, Jake Kamins (special prosecuting district attorney who's position is funded by ALDF, and about everything to do with what you are going through. We have a huge assortment of links but most importantly I do not believe Jake Kamins is charging correctly under the law and I do believe his position creates a huge conflict of interest. Also, many of the rescues and the counties they are in are in non-compliance to the laws. In other words, is your county complying to SB6 laws that require ALL shelters, rescues, etc. to be licensed (since 2013) and did law enforcement take your animals and give them to unlicensed rescues who are in violation of the law? With regard to Jake Kamins - it sounds like they took every animal - did they charge each as a felony count because if they did then I believe they are wrong - the law clearly states "subject of neglect" so they can't charge on animals that didn't meet the definition under the law, AND if charging each as a separate count I believe that is in direct conflict to the sentencing guidelines given as my perception/understanding is that each misdemeanor count can be considered (State vs Nix) but that same ruling clearly states it does not include the 2013 laws which include the felony charges so what that could mean is that while Jake is charging each as a felony count it should only be one felony count level six or seven (depending on the number of animals) rather than multiple felony counts. Something certainly for an attorney to decide but we have all of the links... have spoken with the sponsor of the laws to share our concerns. Not gonna lie, if Jake Kamins is not prosecuting these cases correctly it bodes the conflict even more seriously... intent then comes in to play. I am not an attorney and my opinion is based on what we have been able to find via research. Happy to share our file with you but two questions I would be asking..... Was the county and rescues involved compliant to the law (ORS 609.415 and 420) and were the charges correct (subject of the neglect vs ALL, and multiple felony counts vs one). Contact me for further information - I would be more than happy to share because as it stands - there isn't a farmer in Oregon that isn't one call away from being a felon. Join us at Farmers to Felons on Facebook for more info or contact me via. Enough is enough...

Carolyn said: > Loisng 25% of their livestock, they'd go out of business. Another rumor. If that was the case, ranchers would change the circumstances so it wouldn't continue. . . I hope you're not serious. Otherwise you have no concept of ranching and are as bad as the perps in this adventure. It takes a minimum of 5 years from startup to even reach margin, and if you're operating at margin losing 25% is huge. Add to that, it takes 3 years from conception to finishing to get your return. If they've lost their breeding stock they can't recover the loss. Sorry, you are wrong on this count.

Admin said: > The latest from Paradise Ranch: The judge has ordered that all the animals we are charged with neglecting be forfeited unless we pay a bond of $39,780 by 4 p.m. Pacific time, Thursday, June 11. Unless we come up with the money by that time, 35 of our animals (cows and their calves, yearlings, and a boar) will be forfeited. > > On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 we became accused criminals. The Union County Sheriff’s Department served us with a search and seizure warrant after several animals died over an extended period of time. The next day, they confiscated every head of livestock from our Summerville, Oregon property on the grounds of “criminal neglect”—but nothing more specific than that. They stole our breeding boar and sow, 6 mules, 5 horses, 23 yearling calves, 2 bulls, 4 steers, and 43 cows. The mother cows represent years of genetic selection for cows that will do well living on pasture and eating only grass. Almost all of our mother cows, all of our future beef, and hog breeding stock were taken. This is the majority of our livestock. Prior to the seizure, law enforcement had not presented us with any specific concerns that they wanted to see addressed. They did not work with us to have a veterinarian come on the property to assess our animals. They did not ask to see our hay purchase records to confirm how much hay we were buying and feeding. They had never cited us for lack of appropriate care for our livestock. This led us to think we were meeting their expectations. But in a matter of hours, they took our past, present, and future. Look at ORS 30.933 Oregon right to farm law. going through similar, would like to talk.

Patty said: > There must be a reason why anyone would want to drive ranchers out of business. The BLM was not mentioned but that doesn't mean they aren't behind it somehow. Find out if the ranch has had any Geological Studies and if so, is the ranch located on a mineral or precious metals maps. The reason the Hammond's were driven off their ranch in Harney County was that Uranium One (foreign mining company) wanted the land. In Arizona the Oak Flat land has been leased to a foreign company for copper mining. There are several reasons they are being harassed. 1. they are small without big dollars to fight back. 2. agenda 21. 3. The greens want to stop the growing of all beef and milk cows because they fart, and that adds to global warming. BIGGEST is CONTROL.

Tom-Ness said: > Serendipitously, I just finished reading an article that may be of great interest to your case, "Judge Rules Administrative Court System Illegal After 81 Years" http://thedailycoin.org/?p=32633 The article spells out very clearly how the FDR administration created completely unconstitutional courts to enforce regulations which had been created completely outside of the legislative process but given the force of law. This is a very important ruling that will affect many cases in a broad variety of areas -- yours just might be one of them. True but since there is no access to a common law court, we have to fight to regain control of these administrative courts. They have all the resources to fight us off and have done so by jailing anyone who objects to their proceedings. It's a tough battle but I believe we need to fight the good fight. National Liberty Alliance www.nationallibertyalliance.org teaches and facilitates the process to real justice in our courts. Free Civics and Constitution courses, join the Monday Night calls, participate in a committee of your choice from Investigative Response Committee to Sheriff's Committee.

Your animals are your PROPERTY, They can't take your property without just compensation. I would not take any kind of plea bargain. I have seen them do the same thing to people around me, they scare them into a plea bargain and essentially admit guilt. I have met Ross a couple of times, don't know Ava but I hardly doubt they starve their animals, this is just a big scheme to run people off of their land. If the neighbors are turning you in I would consider a law suit against them. You can represent yourself in court. I would look to a Common Law court and if your county does not have one go to Judge Anna Von Rietz web site and get educated and start one in your county. Sounds like you have a really corrupt judge and Sheriff. Get ahold of Sheriff Richard Mack founder of the " Constitutional Sheriffs" and Chris Ann Hall Constitutional Attorney and have them come educate your county Sheriffs and County commissioners. Also contact your Farm Bureau they may have already fought one of these cases and won. I would counter this alleged animal rights group for harassment and violation of your right to "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness' I should not matter how you take care of your animals they are your property just like your car and if you run it out of oil that is your business. I hate doo gooders Good luck!!

Please start a GoFundMe, Indiegogo, and/or other crowdfunding campaign -- start more than one. Then update here and on social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter, and any others you can. Get the word out, and have your friends help. People are getting tired of the government over-reach, encroaching on personal and traditional systems that have been in place, in some cases, for hundreds of years, assigning more and more public lands as government lands -- which is illegal in and of itself -- killing ranchers and/or putting them in prison for "collecting rainwater," grazing their livestock on "government land," having a garden in their front yard.... This is wildly out of control. Start several crowdfunding accounts and advertise and market them religiously, both online and with flyers hand delivered to homes and businesses -- get the word out! People are sick and tired of it, and I believe they will rise to the occasion by donating to your cause. Keep in touch with me and others who are willing to help, and we will help you get the word out. Good luck and Godspeed!

There must be a reason why anyone would want to drive ranchers out of business. The BLM was not mentioned but that doesn't mean they aren't behind it somehow. Find out if the ranch has had any Geological Studies and if so, is the ranch located on a mineral or precious metals maps. The reason the Hammond's were driven off their ranch in Harney County was that Uranium One (foreign mining company) wanted the land. In Arizona the Oak Flat land has been leased to a foreign company for copper mining.

Try to reach out to Joshua Rockwood in NY he went through this for the last 2 years. Judge finally ruled animals were taken ILLEGALLY... COST him $70,000 plus $9000 to get horses back. Good luck KEEP putting the news out there are yall on FB social media is a good way to get the word out... and the Cavalry group tooo...

Whats NEW!! They have been doing this for years.. The next thing will be the IRS!! YOUR LUCKY THEY DID NOT WAIT TILL YOU GOT A FEW HUNDRED.

No Farmers No Food

mm,, I think Jake's point is that corporanches lose more animals than small farms like this one. I think.

Always trying to put the GOOD GUYS out of business who try to do the right thing for the animals to be raised with respect and not inhumane!!

I used to work in animal protection and I know many organizations are controlled by the wrong people. That goes for charities in general. In this case, I assume the organization knows what it is doing and is deliberately participating in the shakedown against independent food producers. You can't use food as a weapon until you control production. It ties in with everything else they're doing: ridiculous seed regulations, weather manipulation, the Deepwater Horizon sabotage, price fixing, predatory inspectors, they're pulling out all the stops so that one day soon they can starve this well-armed nation into submission. By "they" I mean the corporations controlled by the masonic lodges